Friday, November 18, 2011

Friday Flowers

No new flowers in our garden this week, but it is looking promising on the lily front, just hope that the terrible strong winds we've been having at the hut calm down soon, as they're a bit vulnerable to the gusts that hurtle down the back of the hut into the garden.

So given my present preoccupation with all things Christmas I thought I'd share one of my favourite native flower photos that Rob has taken. It always makes me think of an icy-pole for some reason.

Photobucket


Blandfordia punicea, or Christmas Bells, is a large tufted native species that grows in button grass and damp heaths on very nutrient poor soils, ranging from Bruny Island, south-west Tasmania and reaching Rocky Cape.


I've suddenly realised that Christmas is only 37 sleeps away (thanks to my iPhone Christmas app - ok you can stop laughing now!)
That fruit I started soaking a couple of weekends ago might have to transform into some cakes this weekend. I have just ordered some Christmas cards from here, and some wrapping paper from here.
We're starting a modest stockpile of presents in the spare room.
Apart from my honeycomb decorations we might have just had some inspiration on the tree front. I saw a cute twiggy Christmas tree covered in little LED lights. I wasn't so impressed with the price tag, so after buying a set of 200 LED lights from BigW we're going to attempt to make our own tree. Watch this space (I hope!)
I'm still on the lookout for two pairs of angel wings- if anyone has seen any (that aren't too extravagant) let me know.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

6 comments:

Sarah B said...

What a gorgeous image. Hasn't the wind been awful? This weather has a lot to answer for.
You're definitely in the Chrissy spirit. I'm getting there slowly. I might make a few deccys or acquire some at all the upcoming markets.
Have a great weekend x

Anonymous said...

Oh i could just eat up that gelato coloured flower, mmmm. Stunning, love Posie

My Secret Rooms said...

Gorgeous flower, in the pic.
Oh, that Christmas app sounds interesting, I gotta check it out!

Thanks for your comment at my place, it's interesting to hear about it. As soon as you open up and tell your story, immediately you learn so many people have similar stories to tell.

I hope you'll have a wonderful weekend all the way over there where you are!
:-)

Phoebe said...

Gosh what a fabulous photo! I love that its called Blandiflora. Surely the person naming the plant didn't have eyes. There's nothing bland about it!

Michelle said...

Beautiful photo, stunning.

I can't get that scorpion story out of my head, you poor thing, must have been awful

Xx

Melissah from Scrapbook said...

What a stunning photo - love that bright orange! I just stumbled across your lovely blog through Molly's Maison. I look forward to popping back for some more heavenly inspiration! PS. I just signed up as your latest follower!
x
Melissah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...