Friday, May 10, 2013

Raspberry coconut cake

I love Instagram. For many reasons but especially when I find out about new recipes.
At the moment I crave anything sweet. Breast feeding two babies has turned me into a ravenous eater. I can't muck about if I get a free 5 minutes, I eat.
Rather than feeding my sweet tooth with chocolate (which is what I have been doing) I have been trying to bake an almond based cake for snacking on. For two reasons, Rob is on a gluten free diet, and an IG friend, @jenni1029, kindly sent me a book "Mother Food" which notes that almonds are lactogenic. Since then I've regarded any cake with almond meal as an essential dietary requirement. So I was a bit excited when I saw this cake pop up on my IG feed. The recipe was kindly passed onto me from @brionyk and she had sourced it from @andykitten.

Robert's Coconut cake

125g butter
125g SR Flour (or as I did 60g GF flour, 70g almond meal and 2 tsps baking powder)
1 cup desiccated coconut
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup of milk

Heat oven 180 degrees
Line 23cm round cake tin

Melt butter and allow to cool.
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Pour in butter and mix.
Mix eggs and milk together and then add to batter and mix.

Pour into cake tin and top with frozen berries, like blueberry or raspberry.

Bake for 25 minutes (I baked mine for 55 minutes until the middle stopped wobbling and a skewer came out cleanish).

It is delicious and we've nearly eaten the whole thing already. It is easy to bake and easy to eat.

I love Instagram.




6 comments:

Violet said...

This sounds delicious. I am definitely going to have to try this. Thank you for posting the recipe!

Offer KINDNESS. Choose GENEROSITY. Give LOVE! said...

This looks amazing! Was going to ask you to post when I saw your IG.
Didn't realize Rob was doing the Gluten free thing, good for him!
Keep eating Mumma, keep that energy up.
Thanks for sharing.
We will have to try this!

Education: Exploring Online Learning said...

This looks delis, now I just need to convert it to "American!"

Cara Edwards said...

Mmmm delicious, looks amazing! So good to find a Tassie blogger :)

MargaretP said...

That looks wonderful, I will try it soon, I add frozen berries to pancakes and muffins all the time, sweet treat without too much sugar. If you use coconut milk instead of milk , you may be able to cut right down on the sugar.
My son and his family have been gluten free for a few months now and he does this with all kinds of recipes.....good luck.

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing! My husband made this cake for me for Mother's Day (my first) and it has already been devoured (2 days later!). I have a second cake in the oven now :) Delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...